Let me start off by saying I KNOW how many people despise this holiday. My single friends hate it and my married friends dread it! So let me be the devil's advocate here. It's not valentine's day that is the problem, it's how we celebrate it. The yuppie culture of greed and envy has ruined many holidays, including this one. People have to put so much time and effort into buying the perfect gift or else be faced with "You got me a heart shaped Candy????? Kate's husband got her the latest Coach purse AND took her to a really nice restaurant! *tears*" or "Gran Turismo 5! Yes! This must mean you enjoy it when I play video games 5 hours a day!". Just like that, Valentine's day is ruined. Don't panic. Here's how to have a good Valentine's day.
Take out the money factor. If it has to be bought, it isn't love.
Talk about it and see if you both agree that time is more important than money. Instead of buying gifts, spend the day together. Just the two of you (or, you and the kids, that can be equally/more romantic). My husband and I have been doing this for 9 years and it works great. Give the gifts money can't buy.
- Groom each other -- Mammals groom each other all the time, somehow people think the manicurist is the right person to go to for grooming, but being groomed by a loved one is so much better. Brush her hair, rub his back, give her a bath, help him stretch, watch animal planet and learn!
- Cook together -- Everyone loves food. Cook your favorite meals/snacks together, then put a big blanket in the middle of the living room and eat your food as a picnic.
- Dance together -- light a couple of candles and turn off all the lights so there is very little light in the room. Put on some music and dance inside the house.
- Cuddle in front of the TV together -- Self explanatory.
For my single friends:
- Ignore it. Do what you do on St. Patrick's day if you're not Irish. If people ask what you're doing for Valentine's day, tell them you're not Irish!
- Celebrate it. I'm not Irish but I always celebrate St. patty's day with a Smithwick's beer! Why not? So go grab yourself a couple of candles, some red wine, have a nice bath and then groom yourself. Or get a glass of wine and chocolate truffles and share it with someone else who isn't in a relationship. Call everyone you love and wish them a happy Valentine's day!